Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Dead Chicken Story


We were living on a farm that had a chicken house. My husband thought it would be a good idea to fill it with chickens. I disagreed about this, but he and the kids conspired against me and voila! We had chickens.  And a rooster. But that might be another story...

Anyway, my oldest son had a pet chicken. It was a white hen that he was emotionally attached to. Now, I really had to wonder about a boy getting that attached to a chicken, but I never expressed that concern to him. I just figured that all of my kids had to be a little weird when you considered our dysfunctional family history.
.
Back to the chicken. One day my son, who was about 7 at the time, walked into the kitchen holding his pet chicken. He said, "Mom! My chicken is sick." I took one look at the chicken's head dangling from my son's arm and being the sensitive mom that I am, said,  "She isn't sick. She is dead." My son screamed and dropped the dead chicken on the floor, the kitchen floor. Upon hitting the floor the dead chicken jumped up and proceeded to run in circles. In the kitchen. My son said, "See! She's not dead!"  I shoved the chicken out the back door. She continued to run in circles, round and round and round because this chicken just didn't know she was dead. You've heard the saying "running around like a chicken with it's head cut off"? I found out, first-hand, that the head can still be there, and it still runs around...and around. Suddenly, the chicken fell on the ground. I said, "Thank God!" My son began to cry and ran over to his beloved pet. When he touched her, she jumped up again! At this point I told my son and the rest of the kids that had gathered in the back yard to watch the spectacle, to go inside the house. NOW! I followed them inside, thinking of how I was going to stop this bizarre scene. My brilliant idea was to use the boys' baseball bat to put the poor thing out of it's misery. I didn't own a gun like any other true Texan which was probably a good thing. My kids would hear the gunshot and, they were already disturbed enough. (Take that any way you wish.)
Understand this, I had never killed any living thing in my life, except for insects or flies. Are flies insects? But, these were my kids that were being traumatized! I had to stop the ever-circling chicken.

I reassured myself, thinking that chickens don't have a real nervous system or this stupid chicken would know she was already dead. I was a pretty good baseball player. I would swing the bat at the chicken's head and that would be that. Only, I swung the bat and kept missing because she was running too fast!  Then, I realized the kids were staring out of the window, watching me attempt to kill my son's pet with a baseball bat. All of them were crying. I started crying, and then, I did it! I hit the chicken!  Oh, man, it made me feel queasy when the bat made contact.  I pushed it's limp body with my bat, just to make sure. Could it be true? Was it finally, really dead?  Wait...and it was up and running again! This time I just stood there staring helplessly as it ran in circles, until it stopped, suddenly, with no warning. I was not going to touch it. Ever again. I went inside the house.

When my husband returned home from work that evening, I told him that it was his turn. I had done my part in the dirty deed. He could bury it. My son heard me say that to his stepdad, and a funeral was to be planned. I couldn't attend, of course. I suddenly had a pounding headache, a stomachache. Maybe I was coming down with a virus, the same virus that probably killed the chicken in the first place

No comments:

Post a Comment